In this age holding onto your digital privacy is a very real concern. Every week we are hearing of sites being hacked and infected with ransomware and viruses. We have recently been able to implement a 2-factor authentication (2fa) system for our domains portal. At the current stage, enrolling into 2fa is optional, but recommended. It's an easy process.
What is 2fa?
2fa just means using a 2nd, unconnected source to confirm who you are to a digital system. This has been around for a while, most might know it from when you process a payment in your bank and it sends you a text to confirm you are making the transaction. This is the new faster and more secure version of that.
Why should I use 2fa?
The need for 2fa came about as a lot of people use either passwords they have used elsewhere or easy to guess passwords that can allow people to access your account. 2fa creates a time based token unique to you. Each token lasts for 60 seconds. This creates a more secure login process and ensures that it is you logging into your account. Many services offer 2fa on their accounts. I've been converting everything I can to use 2fa for both my personal digital security and the security of my clients.
How to enable 2fa in the portal.
Enabling 2fa is simple.
- First, go to your chosen app store and download either Google Authenticator or Duo to your phone.
- log in to our portal (domains.understandbleit.com.au)
- Click where it says 'Hello, <name>!' in the top right-hand corner and select 'Security Settings'
- Scroll down to where it shows 'Two-Factor Authentication' and click on the green 'enable' button
- Click on 'get started'
- Using the program you downloaded on your phone (Google Authenticator or Duo) Take a photo of the QR code. This will register your account with the program.
- Type in the 6 digit code in the box at the bottom and click on submit.
That's it. Done.
Next time you log in you will be asked for your username and password, and also for the code from your phone. If you get stuck, we can remove the 2fa for you, just give us a call.
Sunday, September 1, 2019